November 3, 2018

Paris. December, 2005


The last overnight stop on our 2012 cruise, before ending in Barcelona: St. Tropez. The chic French Riviera playground of the rich. Well, it used to be, back when Brigitte Bardot was here filming Roger Vadim’s And God Created Woman. Since then, well not so much. Still, the “St. Tropez tan” continues to be touted in ads for Bain de Soleil. And it’s still a long holiday weekend in here in France, so there ought to be lots of activity. And, please, please, I prayed, let it be a market day like this one I remember so well in the Belleville neighborhood of Paris some seven years earlier. And please, I begged, let there be some place I can buy socca, that wonderful chickpea flour pancake drizzled with olive oil that I remember from my first visit to the Riviera back in 1969. Alas, neither of my prayers were answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment