October 9, 2019

Boston. 1983


I’m guessing at both the date and location for this photo. But, given the content, I think it’s got to be Boston. What is schrod anyway? I love fish, almost always order it in a restaurant (even since I was a kid) and now enjoy it just about every weekend with Jay in Gloucester. People have, over the years, told me schrod is a baby cod or a baby haddock, is a species all its own, is the name that restaurants and fishmongers give to whatever unidentifiable fish they happened to have on hand that day. Can any (or all) of these be true?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schrod is the subject of many jokes involving where one can get schrod in Boston. Here's one variation: A traveller who is a huge fan of seafood arrives in Boston for the first time. He leaves the airport and hails a cab. After he gets in, he excitedly says to the cabbie, "Hey, I'm new in town. Can you tell me a good place to go to get schrod?" The cabbie replies [in a thick Boston accent], "Pal, I've got to congratulate you. I've heard that question a lot over the years, but that's the first time I've ever heard it in the pluperfect subjunctive."

    ReplyDelete