January 30, 2020

Tlacolula, Mexico. April, 2019


My friend Nick, who had been to Mexico a few months earlier, gave me a great birthday present: a guided tour of several sights in the valley south of Oaxaca, one of which was this Sunday market in Tlacolula. (The other six people on the tour were three Latino American Millennial couples from Los Angeles. I liked two out of three. Just saying.) This market was mad. First of all, look at those braziers cooking away out in the open as the formidable crowds pushed their way past them. One false step.... The smoke hung thick in the air and pervaded everything. Many people, vendors and customers alike wore native dress. And I love the dog ambling along in the lower right. (This may be my favorite photo from my entire Mexican trip. There's something about it that reminds me of those crowded paintings by Velasquez. Especially the dog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment