July 8, 2011

Istanbul. June, 2007


Breakfast is not a Leonard family tradition. On the way home from church on Sunday mornings, we’d stop at the Summit Bakery (NJ) for rolls and donuts, but that’s about it. Weekdays, nada. I know, I know, I’ve heard all the “breakfast is the most important meal” and “breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, etc” chants. Still, old habits die hard. Recently, though, I’ve been trying to eat breakfast. I find myself drifting toward the Turkish variety: olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, maybe an egg. Simple to throw together, satisfying, low-carb...and I can easily pretend it’s lunch. Here’s another Turkish breakfast I had one morning on the Asian side of Istanbul on my way to the wonderful open-air Kadikoy market. It’s appealingly called menemen, and can accurately be described as loosely scrambled eggs with sauteed (in butter) onions, tomatoes and green peppers. Spices such as black or red pepper, mint or oregano are added. Sometimes sliced Turkish sausage, too. Served in the pan it was made in along with pide bread, it was terrific. That kind of breakfast I could get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment