August 6, 2011

Fonda, Brooklyn, NY. July, 2011


Mexican Food Week concludes with yet another visit to Fonda. We just can't stay away! This time, a midsummer meal of guacamole made to order (muy picante tonight, served with hand-pressed tortillas, chips and pasilla de Oaxaca salsa), ensalada de sandia, taquitos de carne asada (marinated skirt steak with onions, cilantro and chile de arbol salsa), and, my entree, a wonderful pescado de guajillo -- a pan-seared filet of red snapper over guajillo-passion fruit sauce, served with potatoes, asparagus, roasted red peppers and red onion (apologies for the inexpert and somewhat ghoulishly misleading flash photograph of this terrific dish.) Excellent company (friends Nick, Robin, and chef/owner Roberto), a terrific space (packed with discriminating locals) and, as always, superior food. No wonder it’s one of my favorite restaurants in the world and I try never to visit New York without at least one dinner here.

2 comments:

  1. I should have had you shoot my pato en salsa de ciruelas (seared duck breast with a plum salsa), as well, but I devoured it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off topic from Food A La Mex.. But I saw this & thought of you.. You have probably already found it.. Three & a half minutes of pure genius mugging & timing..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeY9AUNjaZ4&NR=1

    ReplyDelete