April 23, 2012

Hoboken, NJ. December, 2010


It was somewhat of a shock to stop in Hoboken on my way from New York to visit my brother in New Jersey. When we were little, our parents would sometimes (if we were good) drive to Hoboken and take the car on the ferry across the Hudson River en route to visit family friends in Brooklyn. I remember the town as somewhat shabby and deserted, especially on a weekend. During my college years, I would sometimes stop here to have a few beers and some seafood at the Clam Broth House, two blocks from the train station and a bit funky, rundown and cheap. No more. Hoboken, a quick commute by PATH under-the-Hudson train to Manhattan, has become gentrified and chic, desirable, expensive. Still, look hard enough and you’ll see reminders of the not-too-distant past, like this patinated copper facade of the train station and ferry terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment