July 23, 2018

Miramar, Habana, Cuba. February, 2012


Part of the pleasure of travel for me is the anticipation. Thinking about where I’m headed, what I’m going to do once there. When I signed up to go to Cuba, I was very excited finally to be traveling to a place I’d wanted to visit for decades. I knew that in spite of all my imaginings I wouldn’t be disappointed, and I wasn’t. I thought about this yesterday when my friend Joanie told me about a conversation she’d had with her three-year-old niece, about to go on a field trip with her day-care center. The little girl was all excited about this trip even though she wasn’t sure of the destination. When Joanie asked her why she was so enthusiastic about going to a place about which she had no clue, her niece pulled her close and whispered, “Aunt Joanie, I think we’re going to heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment