April 20, 2011

Gloucester, MA. April, 2008


We here in the Bay State suffer through some pretty tough winters, the last punishing remnants of which often linger through late spring. So when the sun finally does peek out for a few hours at a time, smiles also appear and people go down to the sea, anticipating summer pleasures. This April day I headed to Good Harbor Beach and was not alone. Dog-walkers, high-school kids, other winter-whipped souls were here, too. (I think that I suffer from what I call “Statue of Liberty Syndrome” -- when I grew up in New Jersey, I never visited Lady Liberty because she would always be nearby so why rush? The same is true for me now with Good Harbor. I can walk there...and so I rarely do, especially when everyone else packs the place during the dog days of summer.) I don’t know who lives in this house perched above the rocky seaside shore, but it always reminds me of the home in Long Day’s Journey Into Night. Let’s hope the occupants are better behaved and a bit more upbeat than the Tyrone clan in O’Neill’s original “reality show.”

2 comments:

  1. It took years of weekly appointments in Westwood to drag myself an extra block to visit Marilyn's crypt. Other gentle folk nearby included Truman Capote, Don Knotts, Mel Torme, Dean Martin, Rodney Dangerfield (tombstone inscription: "There goes the neighborhood"), Carroll O'Connor, and Jack Lemon. Be seeing yuh.

    ReplyDelete