September 23, 2013

Somewhere in Vermont. January, 1982


This is my friend Eleanor with whom I worked in The Caption Center at WGBH-TV in Boston. We were attending a birthday weekend thrown for herself by our friend Tamsen at her parents’ schuss somewhere in Green Mountain State ski country. It was kind of a lost weekend, if you know what I mean. I recall that Eleanor’s boyfriend (at the time) brought along his female-in-heat beagle (who drove a male German shepherd, also in attendance, wild.) I also recall climbing to the unlighted second-floor dorm, drunk, not realizing that someone had left a trap-door open...and tumbling down a flight of stairs into a group of stunned guests. (I was so black-and-blue the next day; a doctor assured me I’d have done more damage if I’d been sober. Hmmm, think so?) I haven't been in touch with Eleanor for decades. And in spite of the dicey associations, I still like this photo a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment