July 9, 2020

Bodrum, Turkey. October, 2011


A lovely stop in the ancient city of Halicarnassus, home to one of the seven wonders of the world, the Tomb of Mausolus (from which we have the term mausoleum.) I saw most of the city and its outlying neighborhoods during my morning run along the seacoast and inwards. This boat caught my eye, mainly because my nickname when in Turkey is Ekmek Kadayif (a rich, syrupy dessert made from bread, sugar, with optional clotted cream on top.) What could this mean on the side of a rowboat?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I know! I know! Teacher, call on me! "Ekmek teknesi" means "the technology by which I earn my daily bread." I know a Turkish barber who refers to his shears as "ekmek teknesi" since they provide his means of making a living. I'm sorry for interrupting out of turn, teacher. I'll sit down again.

    ReplyDelete