September 3, 2011

Grand Canyon, AZ. Autumn, 1995


There are some places where jumping pictures may not be such a great idea. This may be one of them. Simon and David and I had a wonderful trip up here from their Tucson home, my first time at what David Hockney once told me was “the biggest hole in the world.” (OK, it was at a public lecture at Harvard where he said that, claiming it was the reason he HAD to go there.) I also have to confess that my expectations about the big GC had been building so much over the years, that by the time I arrived there and saw how very unreal it looked, how could they possibly be met? It looked like a movie backdrop. I had no reference point in any past experience that allowed me to believe that the fantastic sight in front of me was genuine. I’m sorry. (I actually was unpredictably awed by other jaw-dropping stops along our route: Monument Valley, the Painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly.) Maybe it was that sense of unreality that prompted me into risking my life for art with this Southern Rim jumping picture, no guardrail in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment