April 24, 2013

San Francisco. November, 2005


Seen from my hotel room, the Glide Memorial Church looks a bit ominous, no? Something out of Vertigo? Wish my visit had allowed me a weekend here, because I sure would have liked to have been a part of the fabled vibe here every Sunday morning. I’d first read about Glide in one of Maya Angelou’s memoirs. And since then, each time I’d heard it mentioned, it was always in some wonderful way that only reinforced my interest. Its website says it’s “a radically inclusive, just and loving community mobilized to alleviate suffering and break the cycles of poverty and marginalization.” And much as I wouldn’t have wanted to be in on the group conscience sessions that crafted that highly distilled statement, I do like the idea behind it. Less “church,” more people. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment