June 12, 2013

Tucson. November, 2006


I suspect that my interest in visiting cemeteries -- in Mexico, in France, here at home -- may be linked with my attraction to the Day of the Dead shrines that appear in Mexican communities at the very beginning of November. Like this one here in a small shop in Tucson, home to a large Mexican-American population. Photos, objects that the departed used to love, sweet bread, even shots of liquor adorn these extravagant shrines. Also models of skeletons, often made from sugar. I love that this is a day to remember, speak to and have fun with memories of loved ones no longer with us. And I love that the passion displayed is so different from the general mien of my New England home and neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. Este post explica com precisão a razão porque o Dia dos Mortos dos mexicanos me fascina tanto: "a day to remember, speak to and have fun with memories of loved ones no longer with us".
    Thank you Sandy.

    ReplyDelete