June 20, 2011

E. Houston St., New York, NY. Autumn, 1985?


My baby brother and I were walking all over lower Manhattan this day how many years ago? I remember that as we crossed the Bowery and encountered many drunken panhandlers, Brien asked me, “How do they know to come here?” An interesting question, no? How does anybody know where to go? From accumulated knowledge? The movies? Popular culture? Tradition? Happenstance? Continuing east, we passed community gardens, local musicians and this huge mural (Kenny Scharf continues to contribute to it even now) that stretched for almost a block. How could we not take advantage of the photo op it afforded? Brien obliged. A lovely serendipitous find. How did we know to come here?

1 comment:

  1. I seem to recall Tony Curtis, who grew up in Lower East, said he learned how to be a gentleman from watching Cary Grant at the movies. Maybe these people watched "My Man Godfrey" too many times after school on TV.

    ReplyDelete