June 3, 2011

Istanbul. June 3, 2007


A little jet-lagged but unreservedly enthusiastic about seeing this fabled city, Nick and I woke up on our first morning, a warm and sunny Sunday, and climbed the steep hill to Tünel for breakfast at Kaffehaus. We were not disappointed. Strong tea, a sesame-coated simit, cheese, olives, a warm hard-boiled egg, tomato, cucumber, honey and jam. “Let’s take it easy today,” Nick suggested as we ate. Sure. Before the day was finished we’d been to Asia and back, ferrying across the Bosphorus to dine on Anatolian cuisine at Çiya, a restaurant we’d return to over and over again. Each June 3 since then, no matter where I am, I always recreate this breakfast plate as best I can, remembering that first morning in the City of the World’s Desire.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy

    Just a quick hello. Your blog is great!

    Angela Lifsey and Gerry Mabe mentioned that they had had seen you lately so I thought I would try to get in touch.

    Since leaving 'GBH last fall I've been doing independent design design work and all sorts of other interesting things – including life guarding at Blodgett!

    It would be fun to catch up at some point. Susan works at Charlesbridge Publishing in Watertown Square so I'm often driving or biking there.

    If you have a chance drop a note or call.

    Best

    Dennis

    dennisoreillycambridge@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete