July 15, 2013

San Francisco. November, 2005


I love libraries. Love everything about them. The books, the quiet, the patrons, the characters they always seem to attract. I’m somehow amazed when I think back to how many libraries I’ve visited in my travels over the years. Miami Beach? Las Vegas? One of the most amazing ones was the spectacular new library in downtown San Francisco. A gleaming steel and glass beauty. But, given the great sense of community in that north California town, a respect for the past. And so, rather than toss out all those entries in the old card catalogue when they switched to a computer database system, they papered some of the walls with them, resulting in a number of pretty amazing and inspiring mosaics. Imagine a whole room whose walls look like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment