June 24, 2012

Watertown, MA. May, 2011


When the day’s Groupon offered 50% off an Syrian-Arabic cooking class near my home, how could I resist? It had three essential elements that appealed to me: ethnic food, a bargain, all within walking distance. And even though I am spoiled by the wonderful cooking classes that my friend Nick teaches, I wasn’t disappointed by Ahmad’s class at his spacious and spotless Yasin Culinary kitchen. Seen here, one of two dishes we prepared that night, Fetet al-Hummos, a stew made from whole chickpeas sitting on a bed of crispy torn pita bread, raw broccoli florets, all bathed in a sauce of pureed chickpeas, tahineh, garlic, lemon juice and Aleppo pepper. Then sprinkled with more of the pepper, chopped parsley and melted butter. I was glad that we were able to eat what we made. Simple, straightforward, healthy and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment