January 2, 2016

Brooklyn, NY. December 25, 2015


When I used to swim at the Harvard pool, the first week of the new year was always the most crowded. All those new swimmers with their New Year's resolutions. After about a week, the attendance was back to normal. You understand. At least I do. I always tend to be on a diet as the year begins. And instead of eating food, I'm continually thinking about it. So this week here on SLS: meals. One meal in particular. My friend Nick's Christmas lunch-into-dinner. I was too busy eating the hors d'oeuvre to photograph them (Roberto's terrific guacamole, Nick's cheese cookies with pecans, his focaccia with onions, his salad of peppers/olives/capers), but here's the tomato soup that had everyone at the table ooohing and aaahing. (The weather here in the Northeast has been playing tricks on us: Christmas Eve it was 73 degrees. This soup did the same thing, delivering the taste of summer as calendar winter was just beginning.)

1 comment: