January 13, 2011

Hollywood, CA. October, 2007


Limited availability increases desire. Back when Coors beer was only available near its Colorado home, every East Coast drinker I knew wanted it. Today, available anywhere, it’s been relegated to the “so what” category. Witness the current phenomenon of In-N-Out Burger. Aside from their appealing approach to the fast-food business model (no frozen meat, no frozen potatoes, very limited menu, higher-paid employees, cleanliness...OK, so they put biblical references on the underside of their soft-drink cups), they’re found only in a few Western states and all of their outlets remain company-owned and -supervised. Plus, the food is great. My first brush with In-N-Out (unaware of its mythic status, I just liked the name) was at this location on Sunset Blvd, next to Hollywood High School. I loved it. Since then, I’ve learned a great deal about its history, its family conflicts, its loyalty to the original high standards. Recently, my pal Ted took me to an In-N-Out in Phoenix; again, a great experience. (He says because it’s always packed, locals call it the In-N-Wait.) A Double-Double, please, yes to the onions, fries, Diet Coke. I later looked up my soda cup’s scripture, John 3:16 -- “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.” Whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Further down Sunset near Guitar Center you can find what is known to locals as "the rock and roll Denny's" where certain biblical references might also be employed.

    ReplyDelete