March 17, 2016

Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland. May, 1992


I ran this photo five years ago today, but I really like it, and it's Saint Patrick's Day, so I'm running it again today. Here's some of the original post about my taking my father to Ireland for the first time: 'Driving south from Dublin and then up the west coast, we approached the famed Cliffs of Moher, at which point my father announced a fear of heights (“I’m afraid I’ll jump off”) and a desire to return to our B&B. He had a point; the cliffs are some 700 feet high and only the flimsiest of cordons is there to prevent you from falling straight down to the Atlantic Ocean below. Delivering my father to the B&B, I soon returned to the cliffs where I encountered this fearless brother and sister, fresh from church where they’d just received their First Holy Communion. Almost 20 years have passed. I wonder who they grew up to be. And if they still go to Communion.'

No comments:

Post a Comment