May 3, 2015

Vatican City. October, 1980


I've just finished reading this year's Pulitzer Prize winner for biography/autobiography, David I. Kertzer's The Pope and Mussolini: The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe, two bombastic snakes who used each other for political gain, almost always at the expense of others and of morality. I had always known that the Vatican crowd were manipulators heady with power, but now that the archives are open on the papacy of Pius XI, Kertzer dug deep and opened a Pandora's box of dirty secrets. Shame. It makes me more certain than ever that I made the right move when I renounced my faith in the Church of Rome several years ago. Seen here, the papal gardens in which Pius XI would stroll, deciding, among other things, just how public he should be about his deep anti-Semitism.

No comments:

Post a Comment